No demo review yet
No live review yet
1. Band Name -- Darwyn
2. Why so called? -- We went through a lot of names and in the end decided that it was a fresh sounding and different name! It doesn't have a real meaning for us!
3. Where From? -- We are from Halstead in Essex. A town that needs putting on the map.
4. Line Up? -- Matt Cardle on Acoustic Guitar and Lead Vocals. Richard Grace on Piano and Alistair McMillan on Drums & Percussion.
5. Average Age? -- We are in the 23-24 bracket.
6. How long have you been together? -- We have been together since August 2005. Recorded our first EP at Highbarn in Sept 2005.
7. You are influenced by, or would appeal to fans of….? -- Pearl Jam, Dave Matthews Band, RATM, Ben Folds Five and some Some Jazz/Funk stuff.
8. Your fans are mostly… -- Nice people! A lot of our friends like us. We have a lovely following in Stortford!
9. Any recordings? -- An album called 'When You Wake' which we recorded in 2006. We have a new EP which is untitled with 5 new tracks on it including a very popular song, 'Junior'.
10. What makes you different? -- We don't use a bass. Our line up is acoustic but we don't play 'acoustic' music. We use our natural instruments and rock out with them. We create a big sound and are very musical. We don't feel the need for loads of effects pedals to get our sound.
11. A song you wish you’d written? -- Ants Marching by the Dave Matthews Band. All 3 of us are unanimous on that one. Give it a listen. It's a wonderful song.
12. Which of your songs is most likely to be a hit? -- Junior is gaining an excellent following, but we're always writing new songs so we could write a better one one day maybe.
13. Career highlight? We get lots of little highlights really. We got an Arts Council Grant back in October 2006. We got booked for Lodestar festival in Septmber 2007 which is the biggest gig we have yet!
14.Any good gig stories? -- We alwaysd have good gig stories. Stories that range from massive disappointments for us to jumping up and down with excitement. We had one gig where it was geared up to be a massive outdoor event which ended up with us playing to 3 people sitting in the middle of a field. We had another gig at the Loft in Cambridge where we all got drunk before we played and we ended up doing an awful rendition of 'You're Beautiful' by James Blunt, laughing our arses off and Richard accidentally turning off his piano during a solo.
We had another gig in London where we turned up and found there was no drum kit, so we fashioned one out of beer crates and chairs.
15. So the moral of this story is.... -- Take ALL your equipment with you EVERY TIME. DONT get drunk before the gig. And DEFINITELY DONT criticise the sound man when the microphones are on!
16. Gigs coming up? -- 20th July - ICE, Braintree. 21st August - Lark in the Park, London. 2nd Sept - Lodestar Festival, Lode.
17. website & myspace link -- www.darwyn.org and www.myspcae.com/darwyn